What Is A Health Coach?
Across the nation, people are struggling with weight and health issues. Two thirds of adults are overweight, and the number suffering from chronic illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer is climbing. Many also just walk around feeling stressed, mentally foggy, and exhausted. Yet people continue the same lifestyle patterns that they know are shortening and diminishing the quality of their lives. What is standing in the way of their making better, healthier choices?
A Health Coach helps you find out. Part detective, part tutor, and part mentor, a health coach helps you start implementing the positive, long–term lifestyle changes you need and want.
A health coach teaches you about healthy eating and digestion, exercise, stress–reduction, and wellness, and helps you overcome barriers that have kept you from making better choices until now. Equally important, at your biweekly meetings, she holds you accountable for improving your habits and implementing change. Education and prevention today help you avoid doctors, drugs, and surgery tomorrow. Plus, you look and feel incomparably better. It’s never too late to start.
Does This Sound Familiar?
Here are examples of the issues that a Health Coach can help you address and resolve.
1. Why do I crave sweets?
2. Why am I bloated after eating?
3. What can’t I lose the extra weight?
4. Why do I suffer from headaches?
5. Why do I sleep so poorly and how is this impacting my metabolism?
6. Would going gluten or dairy free make me feel better?
7. How do I stop snacking late at night?
8. Why do I feel exhausted all the time?
9. Why can’t I stick to an exercise regimen?
10. How do I read labels at the grocery store?
11. How do I get my kids off junk food and sugar?
12. How can I avoid gaining weight when I dine out and travel?
13. How can I create a healthier lifestyle without suffering and radical dieting?
14. How do I slow down and enjoy life more?
15. Who can help hold me accountable for my health goals so I can make progress?
My Approach to Coaching
My approach to coaching is “holistic” in the best sense of the term. Self–care is a basic principle of all living things, and when we fail to care for ourselves, something deeper is going on than just a failure to, say, eat less junk food or work out more. As your coach, I take you through a process of self–discovery and self–understanding that encompasses the whole you. I not only educate you about how to eat and live healthier, but I help you find out what has been standing in your way until now.
Once you grasp this, we work together to help you set small, manageable lifestyle goals and changes in two–week increments over the course of six months. At our meetings, I hold you accountable for what you’ve committed to, though always without judgment. We continue to make small changes that add up to your eventually living and feeling very differently. All the while, you will have been educated in the basics of how to shop and eat properly for maximum health.
Herein lies the key to my clients’ lasting success. There is a reason why people gain back all their weight after going off the latest fad diet: there has been no education and no lifestyle changes put into place to stop them from going right back to the bad habits that were making them heavy and sick to begin with. If you want to achieve your weight and health goals once and for all, and finally get off the dieting merry–go–round, health coaching may well be the answer.